Thursday, October 6, 2016

IWSG: Feeling a bit...defeated

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support. 
You can visit them here .

So, I received my editors notes, and another talented reader's notes, on LANE MERGE which is book two in the LANE CHANGES Saga and there is quite a bit I need to do. I stepped back from this book over the last two months, which means it'll be released a bit later than I anticipated. As the book and notes flitted through my head over the last few months, I realized I didn't have the amount of beta readers and friends reading it that I had with the first book. I asked, I went on social media and found only three people willing to read it. Between working five days a week, taking a college class and volunteering I haven't felt like tackling it to rework parts of the story line.

The bright light at the end of the tunnel?  A friend of mine graciously offered to read the third book and after each one she wanted the next...and yesterday I sent her the LAST one in the LANE CHANGES Saga...the seventh book. It was rewarding to know someone was reading it; they liked the same parts I did and even mentioned a few things that stuck out to her as the editor and one beta reader did. So, those scenes I know I really should change!

I still feel a bit defeated and promised myself any criticism wouldn't get me down, but it has derailed me for a bit. What do you do, as an author, to get back on the horse and keep working? I know writing is subjective to the reader, like a piece of artwork; not everyone is going to like it. But, the amount I need to work on is a bit daunting!



2 comments :

  1. Just found your blog -- very interesting. Since I'll be publishing an e-book soon, I'm interested in what you have to say on the subject of writing/publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stumbling upon my blog! Once my college class is over, I'll be devoting more time to writing, editing and blogging. Best of luck to you!

      Delete