Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A to Z Writing Challenge {WR}: P=Prequels--Yay or Nay?

I had no idea Diana Gabaldon, of the "Outlander" fame wrote a prequel (or as it's listed a "novella") until I was on my Kindle scrolling through new ebooks. And there it was, "Virgins", so I clicked on it excited that there may be a new book! You can find it here.

It is about Jamie and future brother-in-law on a mission with a beautiful woman in tow. This was written before Claire is even in the picture.

I think with the detail Diana wrote about Jamie and Claire that I don't need to know much more about his life pre-Claire. Especially his sex life, since it we all know he was a virgin until his wedding night.

I'm not a huge fan of prequels. Even if JK Rowling wrote one about Harry, I don't know how excited I would be. These authors did such a fantastic job of putting everything you should know into the "now" in order for you to know their character.

What are your thoughts? I'm still trying to sift through the books I have read to see if I have read any prequels I have liked and I'm coming up empty...for now.

3 comments :

  1. Prequels if done right can be okay. In between writing books 2 and 3 of my trilogy, I wrote a prequel short story of one of my characters. The short story provides some background information but nothing you necessarily need to enjoy the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a writer, I use prequels solely to get to know all the characters who help my MC on her journey. Prequels are like first drafts: not for anyone else's eyes.
    Still, I love the prequel trilogy of Star Wars. Though one should've watched the original or Darth Vader won't be scary at all... Good luck with the rest of the AtoZchallenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't recall having read any prequels. I did get out to write one once, but it just ended up being the first novel in a new series. :)

    ReplyDelete