Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A to Z Blogging Challenge {WR}: Q=Queer, Gay, Straight...

Queer. I don't hear the word much anymore. It's usually gay or straight, transgendered etc. Is it even politically correct anymore to say it about a person?

In one of my stories, generation 2 of "Lane Changes", a secondary character is gay. I didn't set out for him to be that way but after I began creating his character and college persona, he became gay. And I love him. He is one of my most favorite characters in the whole series. I don't know very many gay people, I know many straight and have come across all the other "abbreviations" but I don't have much experience in writing a gay male character.

What is interesting is I had a love interest in mind for him and when I began writing about him, I realized he isn't gay. He is straight and there isn't any other way for him to be.

It's amazing how our characters take a life of their own or smack you in the face and say, "Nope, I am not that kind of character, I am _____."

Have you ever had a character planned out in your head only to have him or her go another way once you began writing about them?

1 comment :

  1. Good luck on your journey to getting published. It is quite an uphill task. I've generally never had any rebellious characters in my story, but that only means I must invest more time in their development.
    [@samantha_rjsdr] from
    Whimsical Compass

    ReplyDelete