Monday, April 25, 2016

A to Z Blog Challenge {WR}: U=Ugly, Unlikeable or Unusual People in Books

When I was a teenager, I loved romance teen stories and one I remember, but not the title, was about an overweight girl who--either at the behest of her parents or herself--joined a fitness club and learned to play racquetball (I'm 90% sure that was the sport). The instructor, of course, was a cute guy. I can't remember the ins and outs of the book but she turned into a fit teen at the end and caught the eye of the instructor.

I know we want to escape to a world where things are better than where we currently are, for just a bit, and having good looking characters are a huge part of that. I do like reading a book where the ugly duckling turns into a swan, but I'm still trying to figure out WHY that is?

In typing this blog, I am STILL trying to figure out the title to that book I mentioned. I think it was from the late 1980s but in searching I came across this link: Blog--Top Ten Fat Books. I have read "Duff" and "Eleanor and Parks" and didn't remember that Eleanor was fat. I think I was so entranced by other things in the book, her looks didn't matter to me.

These are just rambling thoughts about characters in a book. In "Lane Changes" I have Lane's best friend who uses a cane, but the requisite good looking people are in there. I guess I like to create a world and imagine myself in it, as one of them or snagging the good looking guy in high school, as I didn't really do that the four years I was there :-)




1 comment :

  1. I didn't remember that Eleanor was fat either. I like to read about all sorts of people in books because there are all sorts of people in life. Not every character has to be pretty, blond, and a size 4. Real people are really interesting.
    I think it's interesting that you titled this post Ugly-ish people. I doubt you meant to imply that your character who uses a cane is "ugly." I'm writing about "unlikable" characters today too.
    Elizabeth Hein - Scribbling in the Storage Room

    ReplyDelete