Saturday, April 23, 2016

A to Z Blog Challenge {WR}: T=Top Books to Movies or vice versa?

Recently, my daughter and I were talking about good movies (Princess Bride) made from a book that wasn't great to read (Princess Bride). That got all of us talking about the title above of this blog.

Books to Movies

We like: Pirates of the Caribbean=movie made out of a themed ride at Disney, Forrest Gump, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Outlander (so far, so good).
 I am the only one in my family to see 50 Shades of Grey but I thought the movie was better than the book, Game of Thrones up until this season...no book to read for Season 6!

Didn't like: Princess Bride, first Twilight movie, The Lightning Thief

I'm sure there are others out there that I have seen and didn't realize was a book while watching the movie. But, are there any that should be added (or taken off) this list?

5 comments :

  1. I'm a fan of Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Outlander, and Game of Thrones in both book and movie/TV form.

    I've read and watched The Princess Bride. I honestly don't remember much about the book, and I can (and frequently do) recite the movie in its entirety.

    And this is, perhaps, sacrilege to admit, but I LOVED the Lord of the Rings movies, but didn't really like the books very much at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed that the BBC managed so skilfully to turn Tolstoy's boring (my opinion!) doorstep War and Peace into a fantastic six part TV series. That worked. Others haven't; Life of Pi for example was only part of the overall story. I went to a lecture by Ian Rankin last month in which he said he will no longer allow his Rebus books to be made into one-hour pieces for the screen because of the amount that has to be changed or omitted.

    Visit Keith's Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We own a copy of War and Peace but it's used as a door stop. Maybe the miniseries will be of more use to me. Thanks for pointing out there is one!

      Delete
  3. Oh hooray for M.J. Fifield for being the first one to admit it but I second that LOTR opinion - I really enjoyed the movies but the book seemed like there was far too much eating/sleeping of of hobbit journey for me to care about them too much.. but i did enjoy the hobbit book
    Also for me Game of Thrones kind of needs both the TV and the Book, I just think I wouldn't enjoy one as much without the other as there are parts i enjoy the book more and part I think the scree triumphs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOTR books were ones I could not get into! I loved the first three movies and my husband bought me the books for Christmas so long ago. My kids have read them, but I couldn't get into them. So, I agree with you on that!

      Delete