Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A to Z Blog Challenge {WR}: K=Killing off a character

Have you killed off a character? Have you killed one off without planning it ahead of time?

This happened to me and it was one of the hardest scenes to write. Thankfully, I had music to help me along with the depressing scene.

"Lane Changes" (the "Lane Changes Saga" is coming out later this spring) continues beyond Lane's college life into her adult life. I hit a wall when she was an adult, a mom, married. I had to figure out if this was the end of writing about her and her family or if there was another obstacle she needed to overcome.

So, I killed off someone. A main-ish character. One that people will know for book after book and like or hate.

I cried. For three days I was depressed that I did this. However, once I got over that hump I realized this was the way it was SUPPOSED to be. It gave me more stories, more emotion and while I know it was for the best whenever I reread what I wrote I still get tears in my eyes.

In time, probably a year or two from now, it'll be out there for people to read and I'll be interested to hear what my readers have to say.  (*fingers crossed there will be readers!*)

3 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly your characters are more real to you than mine are too me. my writing could do with a dose of your passion.

    (Sorry about the deleted comments - something peculiar kept happening!)

    'Soon my child': a short story with 4 neglected K words!

    ReplyDelete