Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A to Z Blog Challenge {WR}: E=Endings Of Books

What is the best and worst ending to a book you have encountered? (And other random thoughts).

For me:

*Worst: "One Day" by David Nicholls. I wanted to chuck the book at a wall, set it on fire, rant and rave about it until the cows came home. I invested so much time and energy to have it end "That" way? I don't want to spoil it...but I would not see the movie when it came out.

Tied with "One Day" is "Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery. It's a book that has been translated and I thought it was a lovely book, then the ending happened and I was sad and pissed. I was so invested in the main character, I wondered how in the world the writer could have written it, published it all without wanting to call it back and change the ending!

Best: Harry Potter series. Enough said.

Also, waiting to see how the Stephanie Plum series ends. I think I'm ready for it to; I've had enough of her waffling between the men and she has to choose. I think Evanovich could give this series a great ending...

"Outlander" is my favorite book but I did not read the last one and only skimmed the second to last one. It needs to end, I know Diana Gabaldon loves her characters but at some point it has to end! The main characters will have to die and readers will need to move on. I have NO idea on how she'll do this, and it'll be a day of mourning in my house when this happens...

*However, are these really the "worst" endings? If the author made me that mad and pissed, one could say it was one of the best written endings and he/she was a genius.

8 comments :

  1. There was a sci-fi I read that angered me with the ending. It was fabulous, weaving fantasy and hard sci-fi together. But the story never came together. It ended abruptly in a non-ending.

    I love the endings of Jane Austen novels. Some historicals, I know how they're going to end and wish they could end differently. But history is history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard this quite a few times in re: to Sci Fi books. I wonder if it's more of a problem in that genre than any other?
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I read a book by Skipp and Spector where the world was ending and it was a race to save it... Then at the end of the book, the Earth blows up. Really? All that time and effort to read it and everybody dies? I was not a happy camper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be enough for me to not red anything else by that author. Did you continue to read any by him (or her)?

      Delete
  3. To me a bad ending is one in which the author has been lazy but I have gotten mad at an author for killing off a long standing character - Elizabeth George! I was heartbroken but it was a good book. Jan Morrison, this crazy writing life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few of hers but haven't come across that one...I'll stay away from it now! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. One of the worst endings I've encountered was Leon Uris's The Haj. Suddenly, in the last 50 pages or so, everything unravelled, and these characters I'd grown to know and love started acting so ridiculously and out of character. It's as if Mr. Uris's editor told him the book were getting too long, so he just ended it without seeing the story threads through to their appropriate, believable conclusions.

    Welcome to My Magick Theatre
    Onomastics Outside the Box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if others felt the same way (like reading reviews online about it)?
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete