Friday, April 1, 2016

A to Z Blog Challenge (WR): A=Always Be Reading/Writing!

Welcome to April's A to Z Blog Challenge! I struggled with what to write about...parenting tips? When I wrote them it sounded like I was telling people, not advising people, and I wasn't happy with it. Self Publishing Route? I JUST began that so not much to add there. I did writing last year but those posts are so far back, I figured I'd do writing/reading this time.

Thanks for reading. Would love any thoughts or comments. Feel free to link to your blog!

*******

A: Always be Reading or Writing.

Throwing my laptop against the wall I hoped to break down writer's block. My laptop slid to the floor in three seperate pieces. Writer's Block feels taller and more menacing than the The North Wall.

Okay, I didn't actually do that but I have felt like it. That's when I close the laptop and walk away. I watch one of the few tv shows I love (The Goldbergs, Big Bang Theory) and try not to think. Then, I find a book to read in the genre I am writing about (YA/New Adult Romance) and try to read the whole thing before I pick up the laptop again. Sometimes, this helps me relax enough or stimulate new ideas that will chip away at the wall o' Writer's Block. Reading also helps you grow as a writer. I just read a book about how you should read six books in your genre, takes notes about what you liked, how you were drawn into the story or characters and use that as notes for your own book.

What helps you over come Writer's Block?

5 comments :

  1. Yes, that vision of throwing the laptop has happened in my mind as well, but more often because it's not working right than from the writer's block. For me the best way to get the juices flowing is to go for a walk. A long walk, far away from home with no writing implement or paper. Then the ideas flow in a torrent and I look like a crazy woman trying to get home running those ideas over and over through my mind trying to not forget them. I'm sure more than one person has thought I was totally mad repeatedly reciting the incantations to myself. Have fun with the challenge.
    @ScarlettBraden from
    Frankly Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love taking a walk, however, I am right on a road without sidewalks so I may have to drive somewhere to do that. Or maybe the treadmill will work if it's a dire situation. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I like to turn off everything and go for a walk...even in the rain! If only I could turn off my brain for a while. But it's difficult to be sure. And yes, I would like to throw my computer against the wall at times, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if my laptop was ten years old, backed up to a million devices and Google Drive and wasn't a Mac, I'd throw it sometimes. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Reading a similar genre definitely helps! Sometimes it just randomly comes back even if the book has nothing to do with your own fiction. //fellow challenger

    www.xoxomake.com

    ReplyDelete