Friday, April 8, 2016

A to Z Blog Challenge: {F} and {G}--Florida and Good Names

I forgot about F given I traveled to Florida so...F is for Florida. Go even the weather back in the mid-Atlantic is crappy, I could move here!

G: good names for characters: how do you pick your characters names? Usually, for me, the name comes to me for my main characters. For secondary first names I like and sometimes people that I know :) Remember: "be nice to me or you'll end up in my novel!" I also have gone back into my family tree to find names.

Last names are harder but usually I make them up or remember ones I have heard and like. 

3 comments :

  1. I'm out blog hopping on a Friday afternoon in NorthCarolina looking for other writers. I like your theme. I am resting on my laurels today having everything in the queue except X & Z. It will come to me. If you have an interest in hotels and inns, that is my theme this year. Love the #Challenge....finding new blogs like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be inspired by a name to use it on a character. Their name become a part of who they are.
    Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge name nerd, and have so many sources for finding names I don't already know about. I tend towards classical eccentric and classical unusual names (e.g., Justine, Wolfram, Felix, Octavia), and usually reserve more common or popular names for minor or secondary characters. Names must be historically accurate, of course, and even outliers have to be in the realm of plausibility. Fewer things turn me off faster to a book, even just from a blurb, than seeing an obviously predated naming trend.

    Welcome to My Magick Theatre
    Onomastics Outside the Box

    ReplyDelete