Thursday, December 3, 2015

IWSG: Book Club, Begin!


Post is one day late due to work!

Do you have any insecurities about writing? Share them with us! You are not alone! Join us!


While I am editing and writing new stories, I decided to start a book club. When I tossed the idea around on Facebook, friends mentioned they would love to take part, so I put that to the test and started the wheels turning. I have nine people who say they are coming, we chose our book ("The Light Between Oceans") and I even set up a Facebook Group.

I just hope I don't disappoint. I am not a leader; I have never done one of these before. When I did an internet search, so many themes, ideas, recipes people cooked popped up and I don't plan on doing any of those things! I am doing a Yankee Swap since it is the holiday season and may be a good ice breaker, but besides regular food, there will be no decorations (except Christmas) nor favors for readers to take home.

Has anyone been in or run a book club before? Any thoughts or suggestions? This book doesn't have Book Club Questions in the back, so I'll have to think of some on my own or hit the internet for help.

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!

7 comments :

  1. I've never been in a book club myself, but mostly due to me not wanting to dedicate time to it. It sounds like a fun idea though. I wouldn't think favors would be necessary.

    I hope you have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about having a fancy club with lots of trimmings. That might develop later. For example, you might want to combine a meeting with a small potluck at some point, based loosely on the cuisine of the region depicted in the book you'll be discussing. I'm sure it will be a fun club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll do great! You started it, so you have the passion. Let that guide you in leading the group.
    And no worries you are a day late. I'm a day late commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a book club in my home many years ago. It brought aquaintents into my life .o are near dear friends. You'll do well. You love books. You like readers. Pretty good way to begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add that we met that first time and chose 3 novels, threw the titles in a bowl and picked one. Buffalo Jump by W P Kinsella, author of Fields of Dreams. Most of us borrowed the book from the library, had a few weeks to read it, then got together at the next meeting and discussed the book's weaknesses and merits.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I like that idea of putting the titles into a bowl. I'm just starting to mull over ideas for the next book...

      Delete