Wednesday, November 4, 2015

IWSG: My First Real Live, Professional Editing Experience

An Insecure Writers Support Group Post about the insecurities of writing, or in this case, editing!



About a month ago I reached out to three editors for my story, Lane Changes. One didn't write me back, another wasn't personable at all and the third was polite, warm and did the first few pages for free to get an idea of what she was working with.

I went with her, Mickey Reed.

I was scared when I first sent the 75k book to her, but she quickly put me at ease. Now, I am working my way through the edits--a bit overwhelmed but am taking it one step at a time--and I also have a beta reader involved.

She charged me the going rate, read in the time frame she promised, gave me specific and general feedback about the story, content, timeline etc. She even looked over notes I received from a publisher over the summer and worked those into her comments as well. She responded to my questions and made it seem as if I was the only story she was reading at the time.

It is slowly coming together and I HOPE I can get this book out in early 2016. I guess the next step is marketing, which I am not strong at so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening and supporting and thanks to Mickey for being a wonderful editor!

6 comments :

  1. Working with a good editor is so key to have a good book. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! So far, it's been a great experience. Amazing what another set of eyes will find...

      Delete
  2. It's hard to understand how any professional editor who hopes to get work can ignore and email or be unpleasant. Glad you found one who was nice and helpful. Also, thank you for your comment on my recent blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to understand how any professional editor who hopes to get work can ignore and email or be unpleasant. Glad you found one who was nice and helpful. Also, thank you for your comment on my recent blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you found an editor you could work with. She sounds like a winner. Marketing is a challenge for me. The best thing you can do is make yourself and your book as visible as possible, both in person and in social media. It's a lot easier said than done, but it all helps, and you never know when one small thing will unexpectedly lead to something bigger and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true; I guess it really only takes one person to spread your book by word of mouth/social media! I am not comfortable at all going out and pushing sales on something but either I have to get over it or have someone help me! Social Media I can do without a problem, but I become shy if I have to do it in front of people!

      Delete