Wednesday, July 1, 2015

IWSG: "And I Would Walk 500 Miles...and I Would Walk 500 More..."



Now that I have that song in your head...

We are moving (driving, not walking) 500 miles back to where we moved from three years ago.

Back to Maryland, where I was born and raised and when I enter The Valley where I grew up, my heart swells and my nerves tingle as my mind and soul realize that THIS is home.

Don't get me wrong; living outside of Boston has been an eye opening experience. Snow. Rabid sports fans. The different kinds of drivers. Amazing summer. Sports fans. And ice cream!

Given that we moved from outside of Washington DC to The Valley when I was five, I never knew of any other place to call home until 2012. Now that we are moving back I realized it helped me in the sense of writing and being able to get my characters into different places and instill some more culture in them. I can talk about Lobster Rolls and know exactly what they are and how they taste. I can comment first hand, or rather my characters can, about the way people vacation and the kinds of sports fans that are here versus the mid-Atlantic. I can say, without a doubt, the number of Lobster places in Maine outnumber the amount of Crab places in Maryland.

So, while we are dumping money into a move back south and going back to the same town we moved from I can say it was a great experience. I don't like change, I don't like doing things I'm not good at and neither do two of my three children. This helped us overcome that weird fear and in turn we met some amazing people and I got more fodder for my writing and characters. I've always felt insecure up in MA, maybe because if you are an outsider people notice. Maybe because we aren't as outdoorsy as 90% of the people I know here. Maybe because our vacation is one week in a different place, not at a house we own or inherited in the mountains or "down The Cape."

I can't wait to get back to where I belong but I know this experience helped me grow...and I'm in my 40s (so it can still be done)!

6 comments :

  1. I love that song, so thank you for putting it in my head. Good luck on the move back. I've been in my current place for 13 years, so I'd hate to pull up stakes again. But who knows what the future holds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head. :P

    It sounds like that was an interesting experience. I'm glad you were able to find growth in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a smooth move. The familiar is a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your move. I hope you find you feel back at home and full of peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song! :D

    Wishing you a stress-free move.

    IWSG co-host Write with Fey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Currently on vacation with very limited internet so my IWSG post will be late.

      Delete