Friday, April 24, 2015

{WR} Understanding Your Characters {Blogging from A to Z Challenge}

Yesterday, I read a post on the Insecure Writers Support Group Facebook page about a writer whose villain was writing his own story. His line was going in a direction she didn't originally want so she wasn't sure if she should keep writing or not. She reached out and asked us our thoughts and almost everyone advised to roll with it, see where it takes her.

I find this veering off happens to me to the point where I have to rewrite some scenes (that I skipped ahead to write) just because they don't fit within the story anymore.

You think you understand your characters, but I think if you are writing fiction, sometimes they will surprise you and take you on a journey you didn't expect.

Has this happened to you? In what way?

5 comments :

  1. Hi, Heather! That happened with me was I wrote my first book, Darkspell. I went where the characters took me thought it felt wrong. I just went with it. Then, about 5 chapters later, the book ended too soon and I decided to go back to where the plot veered and rewrote the entire thing. I added about 30 fresh chapters after that. You never know but exploring is worth finding out if it's worth it or not.

    Elizabeth Mueller
    AtoZ 2015
    My Little Pony

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens to me all the time, and so far, the results have been better than my original ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've written over 100 short stories about a fictitious character who now feels as real to me to do my actual friends. It happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah very important to understand the charecters and it may sometimes be very difficult too when we have to come out of our own to understand them.

    https://uniqusatya.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it happens a lot and one of my characters has decided he needs a whole section of my book, rather like a make-over. I also jump ahead to write out scenes in advance.

    Rae

    ReplyDelete