Thursday, April 16, 2015

{WR} Nine Things That Scare Me About Writing {Blogging From A to Z}

1) That the characters I write, who are so very alive and dimensional to me, will fall flat with readers.

2) That certain scenes in the story: sex scenes, a wedding, difficult to write ones like abuse, death, drinking etc, readers will think is a reflection on my life when it 99% is not.


3) That I get so involved I think about the story when I am not writing it. Driving, working, a lull in conversation with friends. I wonder if I am a bit obsessed and the only one?

4) My story will become published and people will begin reading it and the reviews will come in...and they'll be negative.

5) The flipside: my story will become published and people will begin reading it and the reviews will come in...and they'll be positive and I won't know how to react.

6) My family will read it and hate it.

7) That my computer will shut down in the middle of working on the story and I will not be able to recover it. Even though, every couple of days I back up onto an external hard drive, I can't imagine the pain of people who have dealt with computers crashing!

8) That some random published author out there will read my story and find something so similar to their story, they will think I plagiarized them and I will have to prove I didn't.

9) One day I won't be able to write, meaning something drastic happens and I can't see, can't use an arm, I think my writing is awful. Any number of things...


What are your fears?

Blogging From A to Z

4 comments :

  1. It’s officially the second half of A to Z. Time to catch that second wind, rest up on Sunday, then it’s that mad dash toward the finish line!

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Cohost
    N is for Numerology

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fellow A to Z-er just passing through. I identify with some of your fears, particular #7. I had a folder on my computer desktop that vanished for some unknown reason. Really annoying! Good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to #s 4, 7, and 8. I dread the thought of negative reviews. I'm so paranoid about losing my work, I have three back-up flash drives stashed in various places, including my parents' house. That way, if my house burns down, I'll still have it. And #8 plagued me a lot when I was getting ready to publish. I still think about it every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I read the part about stashing the drive at your parents house. Have you thought about putting it on Google Drive? I have recently been using that more and more and love it. I shared my story with a friend to edit that way so I didn't have to send it via email. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete