Wednesday, April 15, 2015

{WR} Marketing Your Manuscript/Book {Blogging From A to Z}

I started my current series in 2006. When I finished the first book and edited the hell out of it myself and with help, I formatted it to the Manuscript (MS) settings and sent it to at least 20 different agencies.

70% were rejections.
20% didn't answer at all.
8% wanted a few more pages.
2% wanted the whole thing...

...and it still didn't get taken. I was okay with that because I was so happy I was asked to print off the entire MS, send it off and get some valuable feedback. After I edited it and decided to do a sequel, then another, then make it a series that brings us to...today. (I also took a two year break in there to work a 'real, paying' job!)

Nowadays, I feel so much has changed in the way we market our MS or our books. Back in 2006, I don't think there were e-readers, or if so it was a clunky device that I didn't want in my hands. I hadn't really heard of 'self publishing' back then either and now it's all the rage. You can write anything and have anyone in the world read it if you put it up on certain sites. It's an amazing concept.

For "Lane Changes" I have a friend who told me she thinks I should self publish it, and not use the small publisher that currently has it. I told her I don't know anything about marketing a book besides talking about it on Facebook, Twitter, other social media, this Blog and by word of mouth. I don't know enough to build a website (though in this day and age it seems simple enough) and I don't know what blogs or authors to contact in order to read and review it. That's why I want this company to do the first few books.

I don't mind the concept of self publishing, Indie publishing or small starts-ups publishing books. I have come across so many great stories that way and I have come across pieces of crap that make me cringe. I could probably teach a whole class off those books: "What NOT to do!"

What are your thoughts on marketing your MS or book and is there one particular avenue you would take or have taken?

Blogging From A to Z Challenge

5 comments :

  1. I totally relate to that percentage breakdown, Heather. It's hard work, and I agree re finding both diamonds and rocks being published by small press, indie and self. As for marketing, you might eb interested in this post from the 2013 A to Z http://dacairns.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/m-is-for-marketing-and-lawnmowers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally relate to that percentage breakdown, Heather. It's hard work, and I agree re finding both diamonds and rocks being published by small press, indie and self. As for marketing, you might eb interested in this post from the 2013 A to Z http://dacairns.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/m-is-for-marketing-and-lawnmowers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I read through it and pretty much knew most of those ideas. The problem is I am not a sales person and am not comfortable pushing my own product outside of people I know. Something I will have to get over I am sure!

      Delete
  3. I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm waiting for responses. If nothing happens then I;ll self publish again.

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Cohost
    M is for Movies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I found your Blog but can't seem to find your M is for Movies? I love movies, so would love to read it! Best of luck on your book!

      Delete