Friday, April 10, 2015

{WR} iPods, iPhones, iLove Them (Blogging from A to Z}

Can you listen to music when you write? I used to when I wrote Fan Fiction and found that certain songs worked better with some scenes. With my iPod I could put that song on repeat and work out the scene with the music until it went the way I wanted.

Fast forward to now, leaving Harry Potter Fan Fiction behind, and I find I can only write certain scenes to music. Then it has to be quiet but when Verizon Fios had The Weather Channel, I could use that as background noise and write. I'm not sure why TV worked and my iPod didn't...now I can't even watch TWC so my tv is off when I write. For now. I know many people can just sit back, plug in their headphones and write away. I envy them.

One thing I have figured out is I can listen to a group/song and write a scene in my head to go with the music. Then I will write it out and see if it'll fit somewhere in the story. I did this to Vega 4's entire album:

 and to Angel and Airwaves as well:
 The Fray, One Republic are also represented in my first Lane Changes book.

I have a new car, one that has Bluetooth and a month ago I finally uploaded some iTunes music to my iPhone and got it to work in my car. I. Love. It. I can listen to an album on repeat when driving, I can flick it on when I'm tired of Sirius or a favorite radio station fades in and out. I wish I had discovered this sooner!

Music is an art form as is writing and if you can merge the two together, you can get a fantastic piece of work! Fingers crossed I am able to do that with my writing.

5 comments :

  1. Music is an essential part of my writing process. My preferred genre is classical; for me pop music would be distracting rather than inspirational but each to his -or her- own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classical is something that I love to listen to, especially when driving in and out of Boston. It calms me. I'll try it with writing as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an ipod, and I just got an ipad. I'm debating if I want to go for the iPhone as well. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again!

    Sylvia
    www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I take my laptop out in public to write, it helps to have an ipod to plug into and block the noise. I listen to 80's music because I can ignore it--sometimes even sing along and type at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that listening to music takes a good deal of mental concentration for me if it has words. I can occasionally write while listening to something very mellow and instrumental. I too have bluetooth in my car and find that absolutely marvelous. I do love to listen while I drive. Wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete