Wednesday, March 4, 2015

IWSG: Pen Names...yes or no?



I have often wondered, when Stephenie Meyer's series took off and fans were screaming at her every time she made an appearance, did she wish she used a pen name? This was before Facebook, Twitter or Instagram became really popular but now with Social Media out there, I think it's harder to remain anonymous.

I've pondered numerous times should I use my real name for my books or a pen name? You already have a 'fan' base (your friends and family) if you use your real name or at least begin a blog or Author page with it. But, if you switch to a pen name, is it harder to get people to follow you? If you change your mind after you've begun your blog or Author page, is it difficult to rebuild that base?

Just something I was wondering while bored at work the other day. I have a ton of different pen names I would love to use, but wonder what my friends and family would think about it. What are your thoughts?

8 comments :

  1. That's a really good question. I thought about it early on, because I was scared of the thought of publicity, but then I decided that if I was going to go through all the trouble and hard work of writing and publishing a book, I wanted my name on it. I wanted to be able to take credit for it and not have to explain that, no that's not my name but it really is me.
    To each his own, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true...it'd be nice to be recognized for all the hard work you put into your book!

      Delete
  2. I've never wanted to have a pen name, but it's really because I want to be known as the author of the work. I figure the chances of me making it really big and becoming a household name is rather small. I think the nice thing about being an author is that unless you're incredibly famous, you're not recognizable on the street. That's a part of fame I would not like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's hard to have Meyer or Rowling-like success. I once was recognized as a host of a board when Twilight was big, at a signing, and the 'fan' came up and asked if that's who I was and I confirmed it. She said Hi then went back to her friends. Innocuous but I felt like I had eyes on me all night...which I didn't like!

      Delete
  3. I'm all for it! I would happily be unknown and famous, than have everyone hassling me 24/7
    Suzanne
    Co-Host March IWSG :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean, you don't want people stalking you? I don't understand why :-)

      Delete
  4. I actually contemplated the same thing. Maybe I should've gone with a pen name, but I was saving it for trying a different genre later on in life. (You know, because I'll already be *totally* famous here in a little bit). But I use my initials: CGCoppola. Not that anyone can't track me down and find out my real name, but I did want some sort of separation from my friends and family who know me as Caitlin, and the would-be fan base that would know me by the books I write. I guess it's up to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fall into this as well. I thought about doing the same as you and using initials. I am writing a story with a friend as well and we'll probably use one of our first names and one of our last names (she has a cooler one than me, so, it'll probably be her last name!)

      Delete