Wednesday, February 4, 2015

IWSG: I wrote the "happily ever after"ending and I cried...



I began a story over eight years ago--born from a Harry Potter Draco/Ginny fan fiction gone severely out of canon (no, not 50 Shades of Grey style)-- on the advice of a friend. As I wrote, revised, took breaks, obsessed, raised my kids, moved to a different part of the US, it evolved from a standalone novel of a teen discovering love, friendship, and dealing with the crap that high school dishes out into a three (maybe four) book series that takes place over a ten year period.

This book, "Lane Changes", was one I sent to numerous publishers. I had a few bites, but it wasn't edgy enough for them. I wasn't looking to be edgy; I just had to tell Lane's story so I kept writing. The second book came pouring out and her life took a u-turn. Then, a small publisher (who published Transcendence) became interested in it and said a three book series would work better. I got to work on that and today, I typed the very last scene. Of course, it ended happily, I found THE PERFECT song to write to and I cried. I'm not sure if I was emotional because the last almost-nine years Lane's story was being told and now I had to let her go? I am still trying to figure it out.

"Lane Changes" is at the small publisher's now. It's being edited. Book 2 was just sent to them so they could see where I was going with the story.  I just emailed her and said a very rough copy of Book 3 was finished, and is over 104K words...it may have to be split.

So, what I'm trying to ask is have you become so immersed in your story or characters that you became so emotional for whatever reason? Have you ever not wanted to stop writing about your characters? It's going to be very hard to switch gears and work on the new slightly-fantasy-like story "Sticks & Stones" I'm writing with a friend. I may have to take a long break, regroup, then come back to that one so I can make Nicole in "Sticks & Stoned" her own person, quite different from Lane.

Thanks for listening!

17 comments :

  1. Yes and yes again. I have. I keep telling myself I have more revising to do because it's hard to let them go. But I am always happy once I do let go because then I get to "hang out" with a new group and get to know them. By the time the finished novel comes out, I get to have "reunion" time with the characters because I have to promote the book! It turns into a win win situation. So grieve, and cry, and then move on. You'll be so happy when you get to meet up with them again... Thanks for commenting on my blog, and THANK YOU for wanting to be on my team! I'm going to try to find your email and get in touch...! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find my email, check my Author Heather McCubbin Facebook page :-)

      Thanks for the uplifting words. A reunion...yes, I very much like that word. I'm still a bit weepy over the journey we have taken together but...everyone is happy so that is a plus :-)

      Delete
  2. So sorry! Forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! So glad you have a publisher and that the series is going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I reach you? I'm blind. Can't find an email...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you an email...let me know if you don't get it!

      Delete
  4. Now that's dedication. Well done! My books are short and sassy and I don't usually get emotional over them. But I am very attached to the characters in my series. I don't like to think about not writing them anymore.

    Good luck with your book!

    Gwen Gardner, IWSG Co-host and new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like short and sassy. We need that in our lives to balance out our reading material. I'm going to go check your books out :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm not exactly where you are, in the stages of publishing my current work in progress, but I am already attached to my characters. There is one particular scene that causes a lump in my throat every time I edit it, and the prospects of how my characters grow in the sequels have me nervous and excited at the same time.

    Congrats on your series success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sequels are so nerve wracking and exciting, aren't they? I even have more in my head that I may just have to write about so I have room for other things!

      Delete
  6. I am absolutely connected to my characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations of finding a publisher for your series! I also get attached to my characters, in fact, I sort of feel like they're my other children. But I've never written a series, so I think it would be even harder to let go if I'd stayed with them for more than one book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. That is one long journey and I'd be surprised if you don't feel emotional about that chapter coming to an end. Congrats on finding a publisher. It's always great to see all that hard work finally pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited and happy, but nervous too. You never know how someone is going to react to something you created in your head :-)

      Delete
  9. Good job on finding a home for your story!

    I don't think I've ever gotten emotional over my writing, but then I don't get emotional over many things in my life. Sometimes I wonder if I'm a sociopath. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I've gotten emotional before over certain scenes and book endings. The characters are so much a part of me that I can't help it. If I haven't looked at a story in a while, sometimes I have to reread it to get my fix for those characters I'm missing. Congrats on your series and best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reread them, too! Sometimes I just reread my favorite scenes. I'm glad others are as attached as I am :-)

      Delete
  11. I find it hard to get back to 'it' after completing a project. I'll give myself some time, but go back at it. This time I have multiple projects going, hoping to avoid the lull.

    ReplyDelete