Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Hump Day! Productive Day!




Edited on 6/5: Late last night, I found the group you see above. Thanks to Elizabeth Mueller, I found out there are so many people like me out there it is a bit scary. The original post from early yesterday seems to fit the rules of IWSG, which are: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.


So, I figured I'd go back in time and offer Wednesday's post as my first IWSG post:

********

I've been fighting a cold and sore throat my children so lovingly shared with me and today, I am worn out. It's gray outside and only 56 up here near Boston. I have nothing going on until this evening and realized that all the ideas I have in my head, for the current WIP, needed to get down on paper...laptop.

After talking to Cindy about an underlying theme we needed for our story, I got to work this morning on writing. I am up to 21K words. 60K is my goal, then I will edit/spell check and send it to Cindy. I'm hoping to coincide with her summer break so she can read it, add her flair, then we'll combine her notes into the story and find some beta readers. I am keeping my fingers crossed the first draft of this story will be ready to go out to a beta reader(s) by the end of August.

I do not see any YA or Adult books of this genre on the shelf. I find limited information in the library on what we are writing about. My instincts are telling me to try and get this out there soon because someone will beat us to it. We can make up whatever we want in this genre and as there really isn't any guideline out there now, I feel we have more freedom. (Think "Twilight" and how Meyer introduced us to the non-human killing Vampires who sparkle.) Now that I have given myself a deadline...and have a job...I should be able to do this.

My job consists of watching a lovely 3 month old little girl who takes two naps in the time span that I watch her, early in the week. This gives me time to write and since I am not in my own house and do limited housework, I have more free time there than I do in my own home; I have to utilize it!

We have the end of this book all worked out. We have a working title, finally, which I will reveal in the next post! I am beginning to form scenes in my head (I think in movie scenes and then try to get it down into words) and I'm slowly filling in the gaps between those scenes. We are also making a concerted effort to make this a 'clean' book. No, or very limited, swearing, no drug use...things like that. Cindy and I both have preteens and are more than conscious of what they are reading and can get their hands on. There are many good stories out there that don't have numerous four letter words or graphic sex scenes in them. Of course, since we are writing about 18 year olds-ish, we have to be realistic in their language, which is a fine line to try and balance upon.

Now that my break is over, off to work towards 22K words before the kiddos come home from school. Stay tuned for the working title reveal...




11 comments :

  1. Hi Heather, I'm doing my 'blog hop' for IWSG. I wasn't sure if this was your post for the support day or not. However, I'll comment and hop on! Lovely post. Being a mom writer also, I empathise with most of what you've said! And my manuscripts have been called 'wholesome' so we're obviously on a par there too. More power to your pen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvette! I think I will go back and tweak this post and add the IWSG icon on here since it is one of the best things I have found in awhile!

      Delete
  2. It's always hard to balance writing and parenting--but the thrill of getting a solid draft on paper is worth it! Like you, I'm hoping to get a draft out to beta readers this summer . . . here's to productive writing days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope your muse keeps on chugging along and you make your deadline.

      Delete
  3. I like that Scrabble photo--I'm hooked on Scrabble and writing, two of my favorite things! Good luck on chipping away at that word count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words With Friends takes up the time I could be writing, but it is a great way to connect with people far away. I do like Scrabble too since board games are an interest of mine and I loved that photo, too! Doesn't it seem like something we should have thought to do/photograph ourselves a long time ago?

      Delete
  4. Hope you get it to market before anyone else. You just might start a new trend.
    And welcome to the IWSG! You are in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, yes, great time to get it done before the kiddles get home from school but now school is over! EEek! I hold an hour each day (or strive to!) of quiet time. That, for me, is writing time! Manna from Heaven. *sigh* I hope you can find lots of time during the summer break. xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that you've found something unique, and even better than you're trying to keep it clean. There is so much of the opposite out there. Your story will be refreshing! Best of luck in getting it out there quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or I should say "even better that you're trying to keep it clean." Looks like my brain needs some sleep.

      Delete