Thursday, February 27, 2014

...Speaking of e-Books and more...

One of my friends, Lani Woodland has published an e-book; the last in the Yara Silva Trilogy. It is aptly entitled "Inevitable" and currently is $3.99 on Amazon. Beginning with "Intrinsical" and then "Indelible" this last book wraps up what has proved to be a very difficult few years for Yara. If you are looking for a great series that has ghosts, romance and family ties then this series has it.  Buy "Intrinsical" here. Not only did Lani Woodland work on these books, she managed to co-write "Pieces of Jade"--exclusively an e-book.  Honestly, when I read the blurb I thought it wasn't for me but since she is a great friend and I didn't know much about this story, I downloaded it and found I could not put it down! It was fast paced, had twists, pirates and leaves you wanting more...which Woodland is going to do. Book Two will be out but not fast enough! Download "Pieces of Jade" from here.


Speaking of new books...Erica Cameron only has five days to wait until her debut novel "Sing Sweet Nightingale"! This book is available in paperback or e-reader beginning March 4th! Feel free to pre order her book in paperback from here.

I'm very excited that two friends are so successful in their writing careers!

******************************* 

A few notable books I have read over the past few weeks, which I gave 4-5 stars on Goodreads:

"Bird" by Crystal Chan. I foresee this being a book that middle schoolers will be required to read for their Language Arts class. So much can be discussed: family beliefs and values, differences/fitting in, friendship and love...loss of a sibling.

"More Than This" by Patrick Ness. I picked this up on a whim in the library and while I wouldn't give it to my 11 year old to read, I think it's appropriate for 14 and up as there are a few sexual comments here and there she's not ready for. I heard the movie rights have been picked up and can't wait to see what comes of it. This books deals with the question, "What is life? What is death? What is reality?" the theme of this book is a bit like "The Matrix".

"The Local News" by Miriam Gershow is an emotional journey of a sister trying to understand what happend to her brother. Did he go missing on his own? Was he kidnapped? You are taken in and tossed about in this story but it is very well written and as a parent, will strike you to your core.

"Because of Mr. Terupt" by Rob Buyea. My daughter read this in 5th grade and it couldn't stop talking about it. She lamented how she'd love to have a teacher like Mr. Terupt and told me facts she learned then ran out to get the sequel when it was in the bookstore. I read it on my Kindle while traveling and realized, as a teacher, this book was full of wonderful ideas and shows you the difference in children and how their background influences how they learn. A very enjoyable book for upper elementary school and adults alike!

And now, for something completely different:
My family has recently begun to foster pregnant cats and kittens. We began early last summer and have continued since then. I will be putting together a blog about them as I'm finding more and more interest when I post about the pregnant mama cats on my Facebook page. I will post the link on here when the blog is up and running!

Enjoy the last few days of February and I hope you are warm, wherever you are.

No comments :

Post a Comment