Saturday, December 17, 2011

The reviews are trickling in...

So, the reviews of TRANSCENDENT are slowly trickling in and they are good!

--"Looking for your fix of sirens, vampires, angels and things otherworldly? These eight short stories will delight you with touches of humor and a shiver or two. These stories have it all, if you like romance, suspense, and a good old dose of spooky this is the book for you."--Cathy Witbeck
--"This is a compilation of short stories, all with a paranormal twist. What's better than ghosts and hugging? Blood and romance? Vampires and kissing? Nothing! What a fun read. Each story has a little fear and an enticing love interest. Enjoy!"--Canda Mortensen

I'm very excited to see the stories being passed onto people we don't even know. I love seeing comments like this one on one of our reviewers blogs, "I'm reading this now. Fun stuff." Word of e-mouth is a great and powerful tool!

Speaking of "great and powerful tools"--reviews. Reviews are one of those things that authors love and hate, all at once. I came across a wonderfully written blog about how one author, Michelle Davidson Argyle, deals with them. If you have the time, I suggest you take a look at her blog here.

My view on reviews is similar to Argyle's. I appreciate each and every review. Negative, positive, neutral. You have a "write" to post what you want, but I do hope the reviewer takes the time to point out what they liked/didn't like about it. I've read thousands of reviews from my years in the fan-fiction reading and writing world and have seen authors fall into the "flamers" hands and retaliate on a review. A war breaks out and it upsets the author (and probably reviewer) but it does give everyone reading them good fodder for a few minutes. So far, I haven't run into this issue but I have seen it, and it can get ugly very fast!

So, if you read one or all of the short stories, please share which ones and tell us your thoughts. You can do this here on Amazon, on the Facebook page here or even on this blog. Thanks so much!

4 comments :

  1. Nice post. Negative reviews can be very intimidating; positive reviews can put you on top of the world. But in the end, I'm just glad someone commented on my story, took the time to think about how they felt about my characters and what the plot meant to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And sometimes it's silence. There are many positions we can take on reviews. The challenge is that all this is so subjective. You may hate the way a story unfolds or the prose. I may love it. I do appreciate when reviewers say "what didn't work for me" because that acknowledges this very thing. I hated Mockingjay. I know many people who feel the same way. I know others who loved Mockingjay, and they have lots of company, too. Collins definitely got us engaged, didn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, that is true. Silence can mean so many things when it comes to what we thought of a book. I am with you on Mockingjay. I didn't like it either, but the series was wonderful, profound and well written.
    Rita, the busier people get the more I appreciate them taking the time to comment on a story, or blog! It's also nice when they can write you and say that they identified with one of your characters, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing a link to my post! Your blog is lovely, and so is the cover for your collection. It's nice to meet you, Heather. :)

    ReplyDelete