Friday, December 2, 2011

Favorite books as a child?

For two years in a row, I've read in my daughter's classes in her elementary school. I'd go in once a week or so, read a book of my choice and entertain the kids for a half hour. I try to pick books they normally wouldn't choose themselves. No Harry Potter, The Lightning Thief or Andrew Clements books as I know they can get easy access to those. Instead, I've read Chocolate Fever (which a child managed to find in the library and read along with me the last few chapters. That's the greatest gift!), Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Superfudge, Lucy Rose and the latest one Mrs. Piggle Wiggles Treasury. For some reason, when I say the last one, I hear brakes squealing to a stop. "What kind of name is that?" you ask.

It's a book published in the 1940s, so many of the terms are dated like: "davenport", "mush" and one of the character's name is "Dick". When I read the first story to the 3rd grade class last year, they asked for more. I only got through a few stories as it was the last book I read during the school year. I began with it in 4th grade and the day I walked into the school, one of the girls who heard it last year stopped me and asked if I was reading it. She and my daughter were the only ones who had heard any of the stories from their shared 3rd grade class.

It takes 30 minutes to read two stories. Each one teaches a lesson about a common annoying habit children have: not wanting to bathe, not eating much at dinner, not wanting to clean their bedroom, talking back to people etc.

I chose to read this book because my 4th grade teacher read it to me back in 1982. When my oldest child hit 4th grade I found the book on Amazon and immediately bought it...and it's been on our bookshelf ever since. So, what are some books that you read/that were read to you back in elementary school? In addition to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle I distinctly remember (and most of these are in 4th grade, so I must've had a teacher who read to us ALOT): Rivets and Sprockets, Danny Dunn books, Dr. Doolittle, A Wrinkle in Time and in Kindergarten I distinctly remember The Giving Tree.

I will finish Mrs. Piggle Wiggle in the next few weeks and I'm not sure what books I will read next. I may have to dig deep into my memory, or take ideas...

1 comment :

  1. I definitely want to check out that Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Sounds interesting.

    Have you checked out the Great Illustrated Classic books? I read Anne of Green Gables & Gulliver's Travel to my kids this school year, and they ate it up. Before the school year is over, I also want to read Heidi. We are currently working on Charlotte's Web.

    Some books I remember from my childhood are Where the Red Fern Grows, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and Johnny Tremain.

    But for something more modern, have you read the Fablehaven series?

    ReplyDelete